We are lucky enough to have a Dutch Oven expert in our store. From the first time we tried his Baked Beans, we knew we needed to trust this man and his dutch oven cooking. Today we share with you his tried and true baked bean recipe. Easily alterable, leave out the meat, add more meat, or a couple more cans of beans to make it stretch a little farther.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 cans Pork and Beans
- 1 can Dark Kidney Beans
- 1 can White Northern Beans
- Fill your charcoal starter and have it ready to go. Preheat a 12" dutch oven on camp stove.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook until crisp. Remove from pan and place on paper towel. Remove bacon fat, start charcoals.
- Add hamburger to dutch oven and brown, remove the grease when cooked. Add canned beans with liquid and remaining ingredients to the Dutch Oven, mixing well.
- Cook with 8 charcoals on bottom and 17 on top.
- Cook for 1 hour, stirring after 3o minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese, sour cream and hot sauce.
- Alternately, you can cook this in a large pot on the stove. You'll miss out on the seasoned Dutch Oven flavor, but the beans are still irresistible.
Find the right dutch oven tools for you, here.