An abundance of zucchini will be a heaven sent when you try this delicious variation on pickling. Their crisp, bright flavor goes great in a salad, or as a side dish.
- 4 medium zucchini or yellow squash
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 6-8 whole peppercorns
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- In a 1/2 gallon jar, or two quart jars, add garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Slice zucchini into 1/3 inch rings and layer the slices in the jar, add a sprinkle of parsley and dill in between each layer.
- In a small saucepan, combine the marinade ingredients and heat until the sugar is dissolved. carefully pour the brine over the layered zucchini.
- Cover the jar with the lid and let the jar cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Enjoy within the next week!