Put a healthy spin on a classic snack with Cauliflower Tater Tots. Not only will these satisfy your hunger cravings, but you’ll get a serving of veggies in the process.
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup small diced onion
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt, more salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease a nonstick baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets to the water and cook them just until fork tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Thoroughly drain the florets and transfer them to a food processor or potato ricer. Pulse the cauliflower for a few seconds just until the it breaks down into small pieces (about the size of grains of rice). (Overmixing will cause the cauliflower to get too wet to form.)
- Measure out 3 packed cups of the cauliflower and add it to a large bowl or back into the food processor. You can process the diced onion and remaining ingredients with the cauliflower, so you don't have chunks or stir the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using your hands, scoop up 1- to 2-tablespoons of the mixture and mold it into a tater tot shape. Place it on the prepared baking sheet and repeat the shaping process with the remainder of the mixture.
- Bake the tots for about 20 minutes then flip them and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until crisped. Remove and serve.