Thanks to these Carrot Cookies with Orange Icing, getting your kids to eat their carrots has never been easier. Sure, it might not count as a true serving of veggies, but it tastes amazing!
It’s so much fun to try out an old-fashioned recipe. I get sad when I hear about treats that were very commonplace just a generation ago become out of date and forgotten. We’d love to revive old recipes here at Gygi and inspire a bit of nostalgia in our taste buds. We’ll start with these cookies and see what else we can find.
Carrot Cookies with Orange Glaze
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cooked, mashed carrots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Juice of 1/2 orange (3 to 4 tablespoons)
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat shortening; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, carrots and vanilla to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into carrot mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the icing.
- Combine juice and orange rind with butter; stir in sifted confectioners' sugar until desired spreading consistency is reached.
- Add more juice or confectioners' sugar as needed.