Create

Gourmet Chocolate Popcorn

Gourmet-Chocolate-Popcorn--------

Put your stamp on homemade gifts this year with gourmet chocolate popcorn.  From customizing the flavor to picking the color of the chocolate, make your own delicious treat for all your holiday parties.

Gourmet-Chocolate-Popcorn-----

We were lucky enough to have not one, but two chocolate covered popcorn classes from Brad McDonald during our Chocolate Extravaganza. He was able to give us helpful tips and tricks for making gourmet chocolate popcorn and a couple flavoring ideas.

Favorite Flavors:

Butter + Eggnog
Cinnamon
Mint
Chocolate + Peanut Butter
Butter + Sea Salt Caramel

Shopping List:

half-bun-pan_3 large-popcorn-sifter-
isi-basic-flex-it-mixing-bowl-set prep-bowls-with-lids-set-of-3
tov-80-7631 mushroom-popcorn-3.5-lbs_1
guittard_vanilla_apeels guittard_green_mint_apeels
flavor_oils
Half-size baking sheet pan
Popcorn Sifter
Silicone Bowl Set (Large)
Silicone Bowl Set (small)
Silicone Spatula
Mushroom Popcorn
Compound Chocolate
Colored Chocolate
Flavoring Oils

Gourmet-Chocolate-Popcorn-------

Gourmet Chocolate Popcorn

Ingredients

Directions

1. Melt chocolate in the microwave in a plastic or silicone bowl (Cannot be glass or
  2. ceramic)
  3. This works well at full power for 30 seconds at a time. Stir after each 30 second interval.
  4. Pop corn seed. (We find that an air popper works very well)
  5. Divide popcorn in two large bowls or a large paper sack. (A tumbler work great)
  6. Pour in a small amount of melted chocolate into the bowls or sack.
  7. Continue adding small amounts of chocolate until all the popcorn is coated. (This step takes the longest and must be continuous so that the coating will be consistent.)
  8. Spread immediately on a cookie sheet insuring that the popcorn is spread thinly on the sheet for accent coatings.
  9. Allow the chocolate coating to set before continuing. (Allow about 5 minutes)
  10. Melt accent colors the same as noted above.
  11. Add oil based flavoring and/or oil based coloring.
  12. Drizzle over popcorn with a rubber or silicone spatula.
  13. Be creative with the colors and the flavors. You can create a treat for any season of the year.
  14. Enjoy

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

Charles Kemp
    July 19, 2016 at 7:50 am

Thank you so much for the recipes to make the gourmet popcorn. There is something about that gooey goodness that can’t be found easily on the streets. I am just really glad that I love this stuff because popcorn is pretty inexpensive and you can get a lot for a really low price. These new flavors come out all the time and I just want to try them all.

Cibbie Beardall
    November 18, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Stopped at the store yesterday, and tried samples of popcorn. Purchased the supplies and made today. Very easy and super yummy! Thank you

Heather Smith
      November 28, 2017 at 11:09 am

thats so great to hear! Thanks for coming in and also thanks for sharing your feedback! Merry Christmas!

C. Burningham
    November 29, 2017 at 5:33 pm

I would like to know what compound chocolate is. Just regular merkins/Guittard etc. buttons/chocolate ? Or the colored apeels chocolate style buttons? I not sure on this expression – ‘compound’. Also I saw powdered peanut butter on your display with the popcorn. I liked that flavor in your store display, but how much would I use? Do I sprinkle it on or what? I see your recipe but I’m not able to formulate it clearly. Your accent toppings, do they get mixed with the accent melted colored chocolate? Or shaken on before the accent chocolate sets? Please let me know your method for these toppings. Thank you.

Heather Smith
      November 30, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Compound chocolate is the coating type of chocolate. Its technically not actually chocolate and uses a different fat source like palm kernel oil, sunflower oil etc for the fat source instead of cocoa butter (like couverture chocolate does). Merckens, Guittard, VanLeer all make both compound and couverture chocolates-so its important to check labels or ingredients.

For the popcorn- we used 1 heaping tablespoon of the peanut butter powder to 1 cup of the white snaps. Melt the chocolate and then stir the peanut butter flavoring in. We then coated the popcorn in the peanut butter flavored chocolate and then drizzled with dark chocolate.

C. Burningham
    December 16, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Thank you for your response to my questions. I appreciated it.

Jamie Seljaas
    December 13, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Trying to make this for neighbors gifts this year. Not sure how to mix in oil. Can someone please let me know. Thanks