Chocolate covered popcorn is always a crowd favorite, and this easily-customized snack is perfect for giving as a gift in cute bags, or setting out for people to nosh on during any holiday party. Keep things simple by drizzling chocolate in a single color, or use two or three coordinating colors for a very festive effect. The possibilities are endless! Just follow the simple steps below. But be warned; this stuff is highly addictive!
Getting these to look from homemade to gourmet is simple. Follow the following tips and tricks and don’t forget to let the chocolate dry in between coats, so the colors don’t bleed and smear. Also, keep in mind that stirring is not your friend. It breaks up your popcorn and will end up looking messy.
Chocolate Covered Popcorn Recipe
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in a plastic or silicone bowl (Cannot be glass or
- This works well at full power for 30 seconds at a time. Stir after each 30 second interval.
- Pop corn seed. (We find that an air popper or a microwave popper works very well)
- Divide popcorn in two large bowls or a large paper sack. (A tumbler works great)
- Pour in a small amount of melted chocolate into the bowls or sack.
- Continue adding small amounts of chocolate until all the popcorn is coated. (This step takes the longest and must be continuous so that the coating will be consistent.)
- Spread immediately on a cookie sheet insuring that the popcorn is spread thinly on the sheet for accent coatings.
- Allow the chocolate coating to set before continuing. (Allow about 5 minutes)
- Melt accent colors the same as noted above.
- Add oil based flavoring and/or oil based coloring.
- Drizzle over popcorn with a rubber or silicone spatula.
- Be creative with the colors and the flavors. You can create a treat for any season of the year.