The number of creations constructed in the kitchen are endless. At Orson H. Gygi we think the gadgets should be endless as well. We’ve gathered 4 unique kitchen gadgets you probably didn’t know existed but are a must have.
Gadget 1: 3 Piece Fruit Scoopers
These tools can slice, dig, and scoop almost anything. They work great with melons, kiwis, and our favorite, potatoes. These scoopers help scoop out the inside of potatoes so well that it makes twice baked potatoes quick and easy.
Once you have your scoopers try this simple recipe for yummy twice baked potatoes:
- 4 large potatoes
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp cream
- 1 c grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 strips of cooked and chopped bacon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- After cleaning 4 large potatoes place them in the middle of the rack and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until soft
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and use the scooper to scoop out the inside of potato, leaving about a 1/4 inch around the skin to help keep its shape
- Mix potato insides with sour cream, milk, butter, cream, salt, green onions, and 1/2 c of the grated cheese, until creamy
- scoop the mixture into each potato half. Each half should be heaping with goodness
- Sprinkle rest of the cheese on top of each potato half. If you chose to add bacon, sprinkle the bacon bits on top of the cheese
- Heat oven to 350 F and bake your filled potato halves for 15-20 minutes, or until heated all the way through
Gadget 2: Flexicado Avocado Slicer
This gadget can easily slice avocados no matter the size. Its flexibility molds to each avocado creating perfect slices.
A great addition to any meal is grilled avocado slices. Grilling avocado is a simple way to add additional flavor or texture to any meal. Here are some great tips on grilling avocado slices with a caramelized glaze:
- Cut avocado lengthwise and remove pit
- Use the avocado slicer to scoop out avocado and create even slices
- Brush the avocados with grapeseed or olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste
- Grill the avocado slices over direct heat for 2-4 minutes under low-medium heat
- Flip avocados
- Remove from heat once both sides have been caramelized from the oil
Gadget 3: Apple Corer
This apple corer simply removes that pesky core from apples leaving all the good stuff for your enjoyment.
If you need an idea of what to make with all your cored apples simply whip up these apple rolls brought to you by Gygi’s own Rozanne Paxman:
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 Tbls baking powder
- 3/4 c milk
- 3 c chopped apples (use the apple corer to make this an easy process)
- 1/2 c sugar (for rolls)
- 3 Tbls melted butter (for rolls)
- 2 c water
- 1/4 c melted butter (for sauce)
- 1 1/2 c sugar (for sauce)
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder well.
- Using a pastry cutter or a food processor, cut shortening into flour mixture.
- Stir in milk just until dry ingredients are moistened and everything pulls together into a loose ball.
- Roll out dough
- Add chopped apples, cinnamon, and sugar on top of dough
- Drizzle 3 Tbls melted butter on top.
- Roll up and slice into 12 pieces. Place rolls in a greased cake pan.
- Mix 2 c water, 1/4 c melted butter and 1 1/2 c sugar together.
- Pour sauce over rolls
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Gadget 4: Strawberry Slicester
This strawberry slicer creates perfect strawberry slices without mushing the strawberries or creating a mess. Strawberries add so much color to a dish the last thing you want is mushed strawberry slices atop a fresh salad or crowned on a delicate dessert.
Here is one of our favorite strawberry salad recipes you must try with your neatly sliced strawberries:
- 6-7 oz of baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- 2 c sliced strawberries
- 1 c whole blueberries
- 1 sliced avocado (use the avocado slicer to slice quickly and smoothly)
- Toss salad together
Fresh Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 2 1/2 Tbls raspberry vinegar
- 6 Tbls vegetable oil (olive oil can be used but will add a different flavor)
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/4 t Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbls minced shallots
- A dash of salt (added to taste)
- A dash of black pepper (added to taste)
- Whisk all ingredients together vigorously, be careful to not let the mustard or honey sink
- Pour over salad