Looking for a great topping for ice cream or pound cake? Well, you don’t have to look any further! This delicious recipe for Bourbon Street Bananas Flambe topping from Le Creuset is sure to hit the spot. Enjoy!
Bourbon Street Bananas Flambe: Brought to you by Le Creuset
- 6 firm, ripe bananas
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cognac or brandy
1. Thinly slice the bananas on a slight diagonal. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Immediately add the bananas and saute them quickly, sprinkling them with the brown sugar so that they caramelize a little. Warm the cognac in a small saucepan.
2. Make sure the overhead fan is turned off and that you use long fireplace-type matches. Standing well back, pour the just-warmed cognac over the bananas, strike a match, and ignite the cognac in the pan. Shake the pan until the flame dies down.
3. Serve directly from the pan, or over pound cake or ice cream. Add an extra topping of whipped cream if desired. Add a scant tablespoon of bourbon for even more flavor.
- Add 4 tablespoons of chopped nuts to the fruit. Pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds work well. Or add a heaping tablespoon of lemon, lime, or orange zest.
- Use rum (preferably dark rum) instead of cognac.
- Use freshly peeled and sliced pears or peaches instead of bananas. Or soak about 1/4 cup of dried cranberries or cherries in 1/4 cup of the cognac for 30 minutes, then add to the pan with the fruit. They make a nice color accent.