A little bit about chocolate… today we are answering all of your questions about Callebaut Snaps!
What type of chocolate are Callebaut Snaps?
- Snaps are another type of compound coating. In other words, they aren’t a true chocolate. In order for an ingredient to be true chocolate it requires a cocoa butter content. A compound coatings replaces that with oil. You can learn more about compound coatings by reading this post.
What flavors do Callebaut Snaps come in?
In what quantities does Gygi’s sell them?
- We sell all three flavors of Callebaut Snaps in 3 different sizes: 2-1/2 lb. bag, 5 lb. bag, or a 30 lb. case.
How many ounces come in each size bag?
|2-1/2 lb. Bag:||5 lb. Bag:||30 lb. Case:|
|40 ounces||80 ounces||480 ounces|
Is it cheaper to purchase them in larger quantities?
- Yes it is. Here’s a price breakdown:
|Dark Chocolate:||Milk Chocolate:||White Chocolate:|
|2-1/2 lb. Bag: $8.99 (~22 cents/ounce)||2-1/2 lb. Bag: $8.99 (~22 cents/ounce)||2-1/2 lb. Bag: $8.99 (~22 cents/ounce)|
|5 lb. Bag: $15.99 (~20 cents/ounce)||5 lb. Bag: $15.99 (~20 cents/ounce)||5 lb. Bag: $15.99 (~20 cents/ounce)|
|30 lb. Case: $71.40 (~15 cents/ounce)||30 lb. Case: $71.40 (~15 cents/ounce)||30 lb. Case: $81.06 (~17 cents/ounce)|
What’s the best way to store Callebaut Snaps?
- Always store chocolate in a dry, dark place at a temperature of 53.6°F to 60.8°F. So, never in the refrigerator. Also avoid temperature shocks of more than 50°F. If not, your chocolate might develop a white sheen (bloom). This does not affect the taste, but admit it: a dark, shiny and good looking praline or chocolate bar looks far more tempting.
- Never store chocolate alongside strong-smelling foodstuffs: onions, garlic, or even detergent. Chocolate absorbs odors very easily and this could affect the sublime taste of your favorite treat.
- The best temperature to consume chocolate is at 64.4°F to 69.8°F. At this temperature, chocolate remains crunchy, yet is ready to fully release all of its flavors and aromas in your mouth. So always give chocolate the time to acclimatize from its storing temperature to room temperature.
What is their shelf life?
- Quality cocoa, dark and milk chocolate have a long shelf life by nature. The cocoa polyphenols naturally present help to protect dark and milk chocolate from oxidation for long periods. They are natural preservatives. If the above instructions are followed Callebaut’s Snaps have a shelf life of approximately 12-18 months.
Do Snaps require tempering?
- No, they do not. They are more simple to melt. See instructions below. (You can read more about tempering here).
How do I melt them down?
- Callebaut Snaps are a compound coating chocolate that does not require tempering prior to use. Snaps are a simple melt and use product.
- You can melt them in a double boiler or a microwave. We prefer the microwave. Read these detailed instructions for melting Callebaut Snaps.
Since they aren’t real chocolate, can they bloom or seize?
- Bloom: Yes, Snaps can still bloom. Bloom happens when the chocolate hasn’t been stored properly. In the case of Snaps, it is the oil that comes to the surface of the chocolate that gives it that chalky white look. Read more about bloom and how to prevent it here.
- Seizing: Yes, all chocolate can seize when water is added to it. Read more about seizing here.
What’s the difference between Callebaut Snaps and other brands of compound coatings?
- The first and foremost difference is the manufacturer. Callebaut is a European company. Snaps have more a chocolate content in comparison to other compound coatings.
- The white chocolate is actually a creamy yellow color. So if you are wanting a super white compound coating, you may want to use Merckens Buttons or Guittard A’Peels.
- As far as taste goes, the choice is yours. You may want to try each kind before you decide which compound coating to use.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Did we cover everything you wanted to know about Callebaut Snaps? If not, please ask us! We are happy to help!