At Gygi we love grilling, but we also love you and want you to be safe. Our good friends at Weber have come up with a few safe grilling tips that I’m going to share with you today. So keep your home and family safe and follow these tips.
Grilling Safety Tips:
- Follow the instructions in your owner’s manual on safely lighting and operating your grill. We know, these manuals generally aren’t spellbinding, but they do have information you need to know.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet from any combustible materials, including your house, garage, deck railing, etc…
- Never use a grill indoors (that includes your garage) or under a covered patio.
- Never add lighter fluid to a lit fire. Bad, bad idea.
- Never use a grill that wobbles, leans, or is in any way unstable. (This is good relationship advice, too).
- Do not store a propane tank in an enclosed space including your house, garage, or shed. Like many men, they need space to breathe.
- Keep sleeves and garments out of the line of fire–literally. Roll up your sleeves and ditch those Stevie Nicks-esque outfits.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by in case of a mishap. Never pour water on a grease fire. Instead, cover a charcoal grill and close all vents; turn off gass grills at the source.
- Keep children and pets a safe distance away from a hot grill.
- When you’re finished using your charcoal grill, close the lid and all the vents.
- After using your gas grill, turn off the burners and then turn off the gas supply at the source.
Food Safety Tips:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water before starting any meal preparation and after handling fresh meat, fish, or poultry.
- Thoroughly defrost foods in the refrigerator, not on the counter top.
- Use a clean spatula or tongs to remove food from the grill.
- Never place cooked food on the platter used to carry the uncooked food to the grill.
- Place food removed from the grill on a clean platter.
- Always grill ground meats to at least 160 degrees F and 170 degrees F for poultry.
Be safe out there! We hope to see you at our Grilling Gala tomorrow..
*All of this information has been taken from the Weber Grills website.